While attending Virginia Tech in 1942, L.H. Foster, Jr. enlisted for WWII through the university’s ROTC program. During his service he lost half of one of his legs but ultimately returned home to Virginia where he joined his father and started working for the company. It was at this time in 1945 that the company changed its name to L.H. Foster and Son.
The company underwent a leadership change in 1985 when L.H. Foster Sr. passed away, leaving his wife, Inez, and two sons, L.H. Foster, Jr. and Watt “Bobby” Foster in charge of the company. A few years later in 1960 the company changed its name once more, this time to L.H. Foster and Sons to include both brothers.
Then in 1966, the company added another product to its inventory, propane. As propane demand grew, propane and related services would become a clearly defined second division. This inventory addition was followed by the company’s decision to cease their consignee status for petroleum products with Texaco around 1980.
It was not until 1987 that the company officially changed its name to Foster Fuels, Inc. By this time, L.H. Foster, Jr. had already passed away and Bobby was running the company with his son, Watt Robert Foster, Jr. Together the two expanded the company, over time creating additional divisions to accompany the Fuel Services division.